For the sports gambling industry, the weeks just before the start of the NFL season and the few months thereafter stand as the equivalent of the frenzied consumer-spending weeks preceding the December holidays for the retail sales business.
So, it’s no surprise BetMGM — which offers the BetMGM Michigan Sportsbook in the Great Lakes State — has announced some advancements in its sports betting app. Those changes include a number of incentives to attract new bettors and retain current customers during these crucial weeks and months.
In Michigan, wagering appetites are likely to be whetted by the anticipation that the Detroit Lions — who had long been an afterthought in playoff and Super Bowl conversations — are handicapped as meaningful contenders this season.
Lions-Chiefs Thursday Night Football
The excitement begins for fans in and around Detroit tonight, not to mention an anticipated spike in wagering action for BetMGM and other Michigan betting sites operators. That’s because at 8:20 p.m. Eastern, the NFL regular season kicks off with a Thursday Night game on NBC. The Lions travel to Kansas City to take on the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs.
BetMGM has the Chiefs installed as a 4.5-point favorite against the Lions, with an over/under of 53.5 points.
With a promising 9-8 performance last season, a solid roster for 2023, and perceived weaker competition in the NFC North, the Detroit Lions playoff chances are greatly improved.
The Lions were one of the NFL’s most potent offensive teams in 2022, averaging nearly 27 points a game.
Detroit Lions 2023 Odds
At BetMGM, the Lions have the best odds of winning the NFC North at +135. Detroit has the highest ticket percentage to win the division (43.3%) and the highest handle percentage (52.2%); thus they present the biggest liability for the sportsbook.
The optimistic view of the Lions, compared to other seasons, is reflected in the Detroit Lions Super Bowl odds. The operator has them at +2200 to claim their first Vince Lombardi Trophy; there are only eight teams with lower odds.
As far as the new wrinkles in the BetMGM app, there is a free Survivor Pool with a grand prize of $100,000. A Bet MGM release explains: “All BetMGM users can enter for free in the app and choose one (1) team to win each week. Once a winning team is selected, they cannot be picked the remainder of the season. The last person standing takes home the six-figure jackpot.”
BetMGM Michigan Sportsbook Features
Here are the rest of the features that are part of BetMGM’s 2023 offerings for its Michigan sports betting app:
- As fans travel across multiple states this football season, they can access a streamlined BetMGM account experience. All login and cash balance details will be seamless within approved markets (excluding Nevada, Canada, Puerto Rico and property-restricted apps through regional partners)
- Back by popular demand is “8-bit Barry,” as in former Lions star Barry Sanders. This is a free-to-play game that harkens back to retro football video games. As BetMGM explains it, “Every week, the BetMGM player selects an option for Barry Sanders to spin, juke or stiff-arm their way to prizes. If the bettor chooses correctly, leaving the defender in the dust, they will be gifted a parlay boost token, odds boost token, same-game parlay insurance token, bonus bets and more.”
- For parlay players, there is Same-Game Parlay. “This is a new way to combine favorite same-game parlays to create one super parlay,” BetMGM says. “Players now can connect two different same-game parlays into a single bet with ease for exponentially increased odds.”
- This next one is available to Michigan customers, as well as customers in several other jurisdictions. It’s the Exclusive Team Partner Hometown Odds Boosts. Here’s how it works from BetMGM: “As a new bonus for BetMGM’s team partnerships, an exclusive 50% live odds boost token will be available to bettors. These in-game wagers must be placed within the respective states of the following teams: Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Tennessee Titans.”
- And finally, there’s Elevated First Bet Offers. New BetMGM users get a choice here. They can pick between two options. Folks can either “place up to $1,500 on their first bet and have it paid back in bonus bets if it loses, or wager $10 on any football game and instantly receive $200 in bonus bets.
BetMichigan has Michigan sports betting promos to check out throughout the NFL season.